If you are shopping for a new home insurance policy, you might want to consider policies from Farmers, which is the third largest provider of both private passenger auto and homeowners insurance in the U.S. It serves more than 10 million households with more than 20 million individual policies. It is a Los Angeles, Calif.-based company with agents in 41 states including Florida. The insurer is experiencing economic pressures endemic to Florida and may not offer the types of policies you seek. It always is a great idea to compare what several credible carriers have to offer. We offer real time homeowners insurance quotes. A free Florida homeowners insurance quote is available to you at this very moment, whether you are in Florida or elsewhere.
Here is some general information about Farmers:
Farmers has been protecting families from property losses since 1928 when a couple of men with rural backgrounds saw that rural America was an under-served insurance market. It began as an auto insurance company and expanded to include home and commercial insurance in rural and urban areas.
Farmers agents know that peace of mind is a wonderful dividend from insurance coverage and offer several types of insurance to generate that peace of mind. The policies include:
- Dwellings and other structures – Homeowners insurance provides coverage for damage to a home and other structures on a property. For townhouse owners, the townhouse and separate structures are covered for many types of damage except for a few exclusions.
- Dwelling Improvements, Alterations, and Additions – Condominium owners are covered for accidental damage to improvements made in a unit for which an association's policy does not provide coverage, subject to condo insurance policy limits.
- Loss assessment – Condominium owners will also receive up to $1,500 for assessments arising from covered damage. This can be used to pay for a share of property damage or injury awards for which an association's policy does not provide coverage.
- Personal Property – Homeowners, condominium, or renters insurance also provides coverage for household contents and personal belongings. A policyholder may think a couch, coffee table, sweaters, shoes, coats, TV, VCR and CD player aren't worth much, but those items all add up when they need to be replaced.
- Personal Liability – If someone is injured or a policyholder damages property that belongs to others, the policyholder could be held legally liable for the injury or damage. A homeowner, condominium or renter policy provides liability coverage should this ever occur, subject to some exclusions.
Farmers offers several kinds of premium discounts, including in the following categories:
- Multi-line, rewarding customers with several kinds of policies with the company
- Home renovations, where a structure clearly is upgraded
- New homes, to give new homebuyers a break
- Nonsmokers, a realization that smoke can have impact on bodies and home interiors
- Fire safeguards, such as sprinklers and smoke alarms
- Policyholders 50 years old and older, to help those in the later years of life
- Selected occupations, to acknowledge doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, police officers, firefighters and other public servants